Pages

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

10. A Good Hour


MOOD---->Fresh from a mental bath

POST TYPE: Intro

LISTENING TO - Nothing. Too much noise.



After waxing eloquent on the need for freedom, it took me quite a while to realise that I was being fettered by a "minimum-post-length", and managed a short, but still sensible entry for the first time.

I just did something I relish a lot - Wikipedia surfing. When whoever said that "The best things in life are free" , I'm sure he/she was talking about Love, and Truth, and other abstractions of the mind, but I'm reminded of the line whenever I go to this website. Since I spend most of my time online, (courtesy a very convenient internet time-sharing arrangement with a friend of mine) voyages of self-discovery are often just a few mouse clicks away.


So, since I'm so in love with Wikipedia, it has become a routine of mine to start from some article of interest, and then go completely on a roll, clicking on everything within that page that is interesting...The freedom to follow my thought process is only limited by the number of open pages that my computer's RAM can handle, and the topics that Wikipedia has pages for. Whats more interesting is how far from the original page you can be, just an hour into the process. You could start from a run-of-the-mill movie, and the trivia section could take you on a ride to a beautiful new idea you weren't aware of, or something that makes you ask "Why didn't I think of that?". You could start from something as trivial as a TV show, and reach a person, a story, an event, a legend.

So I've just spent another such fulfilling hour..another branching of flowcharts...reading up things I didn't even know existed, but most of the times, I'm glad they do exist.

Its possible that my posts will be influenced by what I've been reading, and in case I find the article important enough, I'll leave the link here :) so you can know why I wrote what I wrote.


For now, I'll leave it at this. The journey has only begun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://xkcd.com/214/

Check this link. Its a problem with Wikipedia. We all faced it. But you are just starting.

Btw, its amazing how Wikipedia works. The belief that majority of people are good and tend to do good is proved.

The problem is, we are so accustomed to look for the exceptions that what we see and talk about generally tend to be anomalies. Like extreme poverty, people from some remote place, rape, war, etc.

HKT said...

Its not a problem, its something that I love about wikipedia.
U never know what you're going to click next ;)